Just an Opinion (But it's all mine!)

Like the title says: Just an Opinion (But it's all mine!). No one else's, raw, uncut, maybe unsettling to some. If you are unsettled by mine, good. Research, learn, self-educate and form your own.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Volcano Island, Somewhere Hot

Originally from The Canal Zone, I moved to the US in 1985 and later joined the Army. Most of my Army time was overseas with the exceptiongof my last two assignments. Recently retired, I now work in computer networking and security related fields. Pretty much same stuff I was doing in the Army with better pay!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest hasn’t gotten the best reviews from the professional critics. To an extent, most of them are right.

The movie is excessively long. At 145 minutes, it is about 35 minutes too long. There are lots of dead places, which could have been edited out, where the action slows to a crawl. Resulting in a better flow of the action and a shorter run time.

Like wise, Pirates II is little more than a prequel for the third movie. It has no real conclusion and leaves you wondering where the story is going next. Very much like the second Matrix film, it leaves you dangling and asking, “What the hell did I just sit through this for?”

Still, it is pretty damned funny. A little darker than the first, with noticeable changes in make-up and filming style that take away from the fun fantasy feel that the first movie had.

For fans of the trio of heroes (CAPT. Jack Sparrow, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann), this movie will be fun and exciting. Expanding on the misadventures of the trio, with a touching reunion of Will and his long lost father, who is one of Davy Jones’ unwitting henchmen. In addition, to a glimpse into CAPT. Jack’s true nature.

If you didn’t care for the first movie, you’re going to hate this one. If you liked the first movie and don’t mind waiting for the third, you’re in for a good time. Personally, I expected this film to stand on its own, but it doesn’t and you have to see the third to find out how the story ends.

I went to a matinee showing, so I only had to drop $4.50 for a ticket. Not a bad value for $4.50, but not worth full price in my opinion. I give it 6/10. My friend gives it a 10/10, but of course, any movie with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom on screen at the same time is a 10/10 for her.

Technorati: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home